87 total views, 2 views today
Why I Love Compass Hardware
Tucked away off Old Post Road in Charlestown, RI at the corner of Ridgewood Road sits Compass Hardware. As a seasonal renter in South County, RI, I never had a need to visit. But all that changed when I became a homeowner of a 1974 split level in Green Hill.
At first glance, your expectations of Compass Hardware and what lies within might be dim. It’s located in a cozy, unassuming house with a flying flag out front where seemingly random items sit outside the front door like a week-end tag sale. But don’t let looks fool you.
The months following my home closing was a time of exciting activity. Furnishing the home comprised a lot of my time. One item on my wish list was a large sectional to feature in a lower level TV room. I wanted a welcoming landing spot for lots of sandy toed kids to plop themselves upon, wet suits and all, when taking a break from mid day sun. What Ihad planned to purchase was a Crate and Barrel 6-piece sectional with Sunbrella cushions. But a similar looking sectional caught my eye from Hayneedle.com. It was was several hundred dollars less and included a coffee table! So, I instead placed my order there.
In my enthusiasm to save some money, I missed the fine print assembly required. When the delivery truck unloaded a multitude of large heavy boxes flat packed with countless wicker pieces plus heavy bags of bolts and screws, I was completely unprepared. This is reason that I never purchase IKEA furniture!
I mustered up a positive attitude and got to work, determined to see myself to the other side. It took me 9 hours on Saturday and a few more on Sunday to assemble the sectional and table. I actually did it (thank goodness for podcasts). But it never would have come to pass had it not been for Compass hardware.
Over the course of the week-end I made several trips there in search of better tools; the coffee table alone was 5 separate pieces! On my 3rd trip to Compass late Saturday afternoon, one of the happy helpers at Compass took pity and offered his personal tool bag so I would have everything I needed. He just said I could drop it back off on Sunday. I’ve never forgotten the abundance of kindness shown in that act, and I’ve been a loyal customer since.
My Top Ten Fav Things About Compass Hardware
- Everyone that works there is nice, whether you’re a veteran tradesperson or week-end warrior homeowner, everyone is treated with a smile and the same respect.
- They listen to your story so they can understand your problem in order to help you. When you’re in the thick of a home project and hitting the wall, it’s true therapy to have someone listen to the journey you’re on.
- Everything is fairly priced and affordable. If Compass has it, there’s no need to go to Home Depot in Westerly, which by the way is 14.7 miles from Green Hill and a 26 minute drive one way!
- They sell Generac Generators, and offer a special program with another terrific local business [Jedi Electric] for installation. When I’m able to swing that home investment, I know right where I’m headed.
- When my shower head stopped working the other day, I was off to Compass Hardware and back in less then 20 minutes, picked up a replacement shower head and we were back in business.
- They fill propane tanks, which helps when you’re about to fire up the grill and realize you’re low on gas.
- They’re kind of like a mini Staples; you can get copies (color too) and fax documents.
- They won’t sell you the wrong product, if they think you’re better off going online or to a big box store, they’ll say so. They’re like hardware consultants even when they don’t get to sell you something!
- They have a cardboard tray of chips for sale near the check out, because they know half the time you’re arriving there exasperated, likely hypoglycemic and could very well use a caloric boost.
- But the number one reason I love Compass Hardware is that every time I go in there with a problem, I’ve walked out with a solution or the very least, a plan of action I can confidently pursue because I trust the advise they have given me.
Make Local Work: Discover Compass Hardware
Compass Hardware makes Local Work for all Green Hill residents and I strongly recommend their services. Located just 3 miles from Green Hill at 8 Ridgewood Road in Charlestown, MA and open 7 days a week, Compass Hardware can be reached by calling 401-364-9607. For additional information, visit their website.